Espoo Ambassador Programme
Awarding the Ambassador of the year
Visit Espoo together with the City of Espoo annually chooses and awards the Ambassador of the year. The selected person is an active member in international scientific associations representing one’s own university and the Finnish scientific expertise and research work. Espoo Ambassador actively takes part in international congresses in his/her own field as well as arranges these in Espoo. At the same time Espoo Ambassador encourages other scientists to active work in international associations and at their congresses. Ambassador also disseminates information on how the city of Espoo can support and assist scientists and researchers in inviting and organizing international congresses.
The Ambassador's selection criteria include a person's activity in international research efforts and in their respective scientific associations. Another important factor is how active the person is as a congress inviter and organizer and also how notable the congresses are internationally. Selected person represents the top of their research field in Finland.
The prize is announced in annual EspooAmbassador lunch, hosted by the Mayor of Espoo and Aalto University, where wide range of representatives from scientific institutions are invited. The purpose of naming Espoo Ambassadors is to highlight the importance of international scientific congresses for the host city, for the represented institute as well as for the researcher itself. In connection with the award ceremony participants are encouraged to invite congresses from their own field to Espoo and Finland. They are also informed how the City of Espoo and the city convention bureau (Visit Espoo) along with the Aalto University can support and help scientists inviting and organizing international congresses.
Visit Espoo has awarded Ambassador of the year since 2009. Espoo Ambassador 2019 will be announced in August 2019.
All previously Awarded Ambassdors are indroduced here.
- Espoo Ambassador 2019 Prof. Seppo Ikäheimo (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2018 Prof. Ahti Salo (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2017 Prof. Pekka Heikkinen (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2016 Prof. Jaana Sorvari (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2015 Prof. Filip Tuomisto (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2014 Prof. Ari Sihvola (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2013 Prof. Tapio Lokki (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2012 Prof. Jukka Tuhkuri (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2011 Prof. Olli Simula (Aalto University)
- Espoo Ambassador 2010 Prof. Riitta Smeds (Aalto University)
- Honour Ambassador 2009 Prof. Emeritus Markku Peltoniemi (Helsinki School of Technology, now Aalto University)
Become an Ambassador
An international conference hosted in your local area creates opportunities for your industry sector to gain world recognition as well as a platform to profile your institution. Become an Espoo Ambassador and we can help you achieve this and more. The Espop Ambassador Programme provides opportunities to share experiences with like-minded people, build new contacts and learn more about what Espoo has to offer as a conference destination.
Take up the challenge to bid and become an Espoo Ambassador - we welcome all academic professionals from fields as varied as science and technology, sport and leisure, medicine and law, who are experts in their field and have a major influence over their associations’ choice of conference destination. Together, with the dedicated support of the Espoo Ambassador Programme and Visit Espoo Congress Team, we will help you build and present the case to persuade your association to host their next or future meeting in Espoo.
This is an opportunity to showcase Espoo's capital as a modern, dynamic city with world-leading centres of excellence that continue to develop new fields of expertise and ground breaking research.
Hosting a conference or event in Espoo has its rewards for you too!
Attracting a conference is good for you, good for your organisation and good for the city. As the catalyst in securing your associations’ conference, you will gain recognition and achieve long-term benefits such as:
- a platform to raise the national and global awareness of your scientific field and gain recognition for Finland's academic institutions
- an opportunity to build alliances to develop collaborative research
- potential for career development as a result of the increased professional recognition for conference organisers and the opportunity to become a speaker at future conference
Organizing a congress in Espoo is easy too Our objective and free of charge consultation services are .
- High quality congress services with long experience
- Espoo is the second most popular international congress city in Finland
- Wide range of versatile and high level congress facilities
- Excellent international and national connections
- Diverse possibilities for social programs (science, culture, nature, sea), also in neighbouring coutries
All our convention services are free of charge, impartial and dedicated to helping you successfully bid for your conference and available through the whole process of organising the event.
Be Part of the Programme
If you have expertise in a specialist field and are considering bringing a conference to Espoo, please contact us. Our network of Espoo Ambassadors continues to grow each year so you will be in good company!
- Are You an expert in your scientific field?
- Are You a member of international association?
- Are You participating regularly in international conferences of your field?
- Have You thought of inviting an international conference to Finland or to Espoo?
- Would You like to become Espoo´s Congress Ambassador?
If you said yes in one of these questions, we would be happy to meet you in person and talk more.
If you wish to have more information, please contact Visit Espoo Congress Team.