Sustainable Meetings in Espoo, Finland
In Espoo, you can arrange a meeting, event or a great celebration in a sustainable way. Read our tips for a greener event, which is also a cost-effective way of organising an event!
- Select a meeting room, which is within walking distance from the hotel or with good public transport links
- Favor venues, which have an environmental certificate. Eco certified venues in Espoo include: Glo Hotel Sello, conference hotel Hanaholmen, Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, Radisson Blu Espoo, Scandic Espoo, Hawkhill Nature, Magic of Nuuksio, Technopolis Otaniemi and Sello hall
- Try to minimize the need for transport
- Share information on how to move around the city: give out maps, public transport timetables and routes, as well as information on bicycle rental possibilities.
- Selected hotel or several hotels, which are within walking distance to the place of meeting venue, dinner place etc.
- Favor the hotels that have an environmental certificate. Eco certified hotels and accommodation options in Espoo area are: Glo Hotel Sello, conference hotel Hanaholmen, Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, Radisson Blu Espoo, Scandic Espoo, Hawkhill Nature, Magic of Nuuksio
- Negotiate with the hotel or banquet house staff a menu, with an emphasis on the share of domestic local foods and seasonal ingredients.
- Favour the vegetarian dishes or offer an vegetarian option with meat dish.
- Try to avoid single-use containers whenever it is possible
- Serve tap water in jugs. Remember to inform your guests that the Finnish tap water is of high quality and absolutely safe to drink!
- Ask for advance registration, so that food waste can be minimized
Marketing, registration and congress materials
- Favor e-marketing and e-registration
- Minimize the amount of all printed materials. Consider the possibility of providing the event materials to the participants in electronic form.
- When printing, favor Finnish and local producers and environmentally friendly printing materials.
- Consider whether the gifts to the speakers and participants can be ecological or intangible. (Eg. The donation for a cause close to the subject)
- Favour social programs where the environmental impact is minimized (eg. A guided walking tour, bike tour around the city, Nordic walking tour)
- Give preference to companies that implement the principles of sustainable tourism. Check out the programme service companies in Espoo who provide services in accordance with these principles.