ESPOO BY BIKE
Espoo is a great city to explore on your bike! Maybe even keep a diary of your cycling trips, share it with others, and follow our cycling tips! Cycling is so much fun so why not share it with others! Before going outdoors and exploring Espoo, have at suggested cycling routes.
During cycling season (April-October) you can use city bikes in Espoo. City bikes are an excellent way to more around Espoo and using city bikes is convenient. You can find over a hundred city bike stations in Espoo.
Many of the local hotels offer bikes for their guests - ask from the reception!
FAT BIKE RENTAL POINTS
- Natura Viva's Fat bike rentals in Haukkalampi, in Nuuksio National Park, and at Hotel Korpilampi (self-service rental). Natura Viva offers also guided fat bike tours in Nuuksio.
From Korpilampi you can head for example to Luukki outdoor area.
- Natura Viva's Fat bike rentals in Matinkylä Paddling Point, from where you can enjoy 40 km long Espoo Waterfront Walkway.
- Biking.fi rents fat bikes for independent cycling from Haltia Nature Center and Nuuksio North Gate. You can book the bikes via Bookingpoint.fi.
TRAILS IN NUUKSIO NATIONAL PARK
You can find about 30 km trails for cyclists in Nuuksio National Park as well. Please notice that not all trails are permitted for cyclists.
SOUTH BY CYCLE
South by Cycle is a versatile and fascinating bike-packing trail between Uusimaa and Kymenlaakso. It is a collection of nature’s unique gems, cultural history, and loads of romantic countryside. The nearly 900-kilometer long trail offers quality time for everyone, from the amateur to the adventurer. Cycle a longer section at a time or experience a weekend getaway: the trail is easily reached by train, bus, or metro.
The Western Uusimaa Tour
The Western Uusimaa tour is a cycling route that starts from Helsinki. Along the route, you can find the Nuuksio National Park, ridge and lakeside trails in Lohja, Fiskars village, Billnäs, and Mustio ironworks and Mustio Manor, Inkoo harbor, beaches in Kopparnäs, Siuntio Castle, Meiko recreational area, Hvitträsk national museum and the coastal trails of Espoo and Helsinki. The route combines nicely the most beautiful hiking trails and nature sites of the region with the seascapes of the southern coast. The total length of the route is 293km and the duration is 4-5 days. The route is suitable for both campers and those preferring guesthouse accommodation.
The Nuuksio National Park overnight trip
The Nuuksio National Park overnight trip is a cycling route that starts in the center of Helsinki. The route runs through Helsinki Central Park to Pitkäskoski on the Vantaanjoki River and from there to the Nuuksio Lake Uplands. The return to the starting point takes place by continuing cycling through Nuuksio National Park to Veikkola and from there to Kirkkonummi train station. The commuter train connection from Kirkkonummi to Helsinki takes less than an hour, when using the local train connection, the length of the route will be 90 km. Alternatively, one can also return to Helsinki following the coastal routes of the Western Uusimaa tour, which means that the entire trip will be 146 km long. The duration of the route is 1-2 days. The route is suitable for both campers and those who use the accommodation services of Nuuksio National Park.
VISIT ESPOO'S THEMED CYCLING ROUTES
Explore the Sports Tracker service and routes that Visit Espoo has created for you! By creating your own profile, you have the chance to share your own routes with us. Of course, you can print these maps into your pocket and go out to explore the cycling routes in Espoo.
- Visit Espoo Culture - The route starts from Tapiola Central Tower and continues to Otaranta in Otaniemi and Keilalahti. When cycling back to Tapiola one can pass Kino Tapiola and Tapiola church. The route is 7,2 km long and takes about 35-40 minutes.
- Visit Espoo Sea - Beautiful landscape, delightful scenery, beaches, and possibility to hop onboard an archipelago boat from Haukilahti or Mellsten beach. This route is safe and is suitable for children as well. The route is 9 km long and takes about 40 minutes.
- Visit Espoo Nature - Along the trip, one can stop in Pirttimäki Recreational Area and have a coffee break or grill sausage. Go for a swim in Myllyjärvi. Backby Manor is located at the end of Lake Bodom and is a great place to stop by or stay over a night or two. The route ends to Bemböle Coffee House. The route is 17,5 km long and takes about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Visit Espoo Workout - Longer and more challenging route, but enjoyable cycling terrain along the King's Road and Waterfront Walkway. Along the Waterfront Walkway, there is beautiful seaside scenery and cosy summer cafés and beaches. One can become acquainted with the Espoo cathedral and Espoo Manor. The route is 53 km long and takes about 3 hours.
- Visit Espoo Goes Helsinki - Marine route from Espoo to Helsinki and back! Good starting points are for example Klaus K, Stockmann, Keilaniemi or Meilahti. Scenic landscape and good cycle tracks. The route is 20 km long and takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Routes to discover
South by Cycle in Espoo
Bike & Boat
Hero Image: Natura Viva