We believe that traveling belongs to everyone
Whether you are a tourist with reduced mobility, in a wheelchair, visually impaired, or family traveling with a pram - in Espoo and surrounding neighborhoods, you will find a lot to see, do, and experience barrier-free.
Accessibly Getting Around
- Metro: The metro cars and the station platforms are at the same height. Every metro station has at least one barrier-free entrance and at least one elevator. Many stations have sound indicators that make it easier for the visually impaired visitors to move. Metro trains have announcements and text displays. All Espoo's (west side) metro stations are accessible. There are no high thresholds or stairs on the walkways. The entrances have either a group of three escalators and two elevators or an elevator entrance between the floor levels, where you can easily reach the platform level with a direct elevator connection.
- Local Train: All commuter rail carriages in the HSL area are low-floor and almost all station platforms are at the same height as the floor of the commuter trains. As an exception, the platforms of Kauniainen and Kera stations are lower than the floor of commuter trains, and the track of Kirkkonummi station is three times higher than the floor of commuter trains. Accessible carriages are marked with a wheelchair symbol.
- Bus Network: HSL's buses are low-floor and the middle door has a manually operated ramp rising from the floor. The bus lines have announcements telling the name of the stop and screens telling the next stop.
Seaside & Archipelago Boats
- All boats are possible to enter with a manual wheelchair, but an assistant is required. Unfortunately, you cannot get on the boat with an electric wheelchair due to their weight. There is no actual ramp to the boat, but the wheelchair is lifted over the threshold with an assistant.
- Unfortunately, there are no accessible toilets on the boats at the moment.
- Direct Lines to Pentala Island and Iso Vasikkasaari Island fit on the boat multiple wheelchairs at the same time. The Route Lines from Otaniemi and Kivenlahti have space only for 1-2 wheelchairs at a time. Please, also note that the outer islands (Gåsgrund Island, Stora Herrö Island, and Rövaren Island) are not accessible.
- Pentala Island and Iso Vasikkasaari Island are accessible to wheelchair visitors, but we recommend having an assistant/non-wheelchair visitor along. On these two islands, you can also find accessible toilets.
JT Line boat transportation and cruises
Other Accessible transportation
Åbergin Linja bus transportation
- Hanaholmen Hotel
- Heymo 1 by Sokos Hotels
- Hawkhill Cottage Resort
- Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden
- Hotel Nuuksio (Note: There are no elevators in the hotel. Remember to share your needs and wishes in the reservation)
Note: Make sure about accessible rooms availability from hotels' receptions or their website before making a reservation.
Heymo 1 by Sokos Hotels
Accessible Sights & activities
- Finnish Nature Centre Haltia
- Espoo Museum of Modern Art EMMA
- Finnkino Cinema (in Shopping Center Iso Omena and Shopping Center Sello)
- Watersport Center Laguuni
- Gallen-Kallela Museum
- Sello Concert Hall
- Museum of Play Leikki
- Espoo Culture Center
- Espoo City Theater
- Nuuksion Taika Villas - Activities
- Evenio - Guided Tours
- Hawkhill Cottage Resort - Activities
- Retkipaikka - Wine in the Woods Activities
- Metroretket - Guided tours
Haltia - The Finnish Nature Centre
EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art
Leikki – the Museum of Play
Learn cooking by the fire with our wilderness chef
Wine in the Woods - Red wine tasting
Espoo Waterfront Walking Tour
Hero Image: Daniela Brezinova