If you want a more remote experience, Stora Herrö Island can be a great option. This large recreational island offers great opportunities for camping and outdoor cooking (Note: Take drinking water with you). Besides that, you can admire the perfect sea view from the observation tower at the island's highest point. There are several hiking trails, cooking shelters, and permanent fireplaces. For private occasions, you can rent an old fisherman hut by Hiiohoi that serves as a great meeting space or a venue for sauna evenings. The island's terrain is rather rocky on most of the island, but you will also find sandy beaches and forests.
Services on the island
- There is NOT any drinking water on the island. Remember to bring your own drinking water.
- Most of the island is open to all (except private cottages on the shore)
- Camping and outdoor cooking in designated places are allowed
- Several cooking places, toilets and permanent fireplaces (City of Espoo takes care of the wood supplies)
- Based on the season you may find wild berries and mushrooms on the island
- Private cottages and an old fishing hut venue by Hiiohoi are possible to rent for private occasions
You can reach the island by public boats from harbors in
Blue line – Route Line from Kivenlahti with harbors in Kivenlahti, Ristiniemi, Soukka, Suinonsalmi
Red line – Route Line form Otaniemi with harbors in Suomenoja, Nokkala, Haukilahti, Otaniemi
Hero Image: Hiiohoi